Here is a 3000+ word article on the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III camera:
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III is a high-performance compact camera that delivers exceptional image quality and versatility in a compact and portable form factor. This article provides a comprehensive overview of the camera’s key features, specifications, pricing, and performance.
Unveiling the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III: Release Date and Pricing
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III was first announced in July 2017 and was released in October of the same year. It had a suggested retail price of $999 at launch, but it can now be found for around $600 new and even less used.
Some key dates and pricing info:
- Announced: July 2017
- Released: October 2017
- Launch Price: $999
- Current New Price: Around $600
- Current Used Price: $400 – $500
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III: A High-Performance Compact Camera in a Class of Its Own
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III stands out from other compact cameras and smartphones in several ways:
- Features a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor, which is significantly larger than the sensors in most fixed lens compact cameras and smartphones.
- The larger sensor enables better light gathering ability for improved image quality, especially in low light conditions.
More Powerful Image Processor
- Uses Canon’s advanced DIGIC 7 image processor, which delivers excellent processing power.
- Enables fast continuous shooting up to 9 fps, quick autofocus, and good high ISO noise performance.
- Has a high quality 24-72mm (35mm equivalent) f/2.8-5.6 lens with image stabilization.
- The bright f/2.8 aperture at the wide end enables good low light shooting and background blur.
Extensive Shooting Modes and Controls
- Offers full manual exposure controls as well as a range of automatic and scene modes.
- Advanced photographers have the flexibility to take full control over exposure settings.
Excellent Build Quality
- Made of lightweight magnesium alloy with dust and moisture resistance.
- Feels solid and durable in the hand.
Discovering the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III: A Used Gem for Photography Enthusiasts
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III is a great option on the used market for enthusiasts looking for an affordable yet highly capable compact camera:
Great Value on the Used Market
- Can be found used for around $400 – $500 in good condition.
- Significantly cheaper than the $999 launch price.
Retains Excellent Image Quality
- Image quality remains outstanding despite being used.
- The 24MP sensor and DIGIC 7 processor still deliver excellent results.
Reliable and Durable
- Canon Powershot cameras are known for their reliability and durability.
- The G1X Mark III feels solidly built and stands up well to frequent use.
Compact, Lightweight, and Portable
- Weighing just 399g, the G1X Mark III is highly portable.
- Easily fits into a jacket pocket or small bag.
- Ideal for travel photography and everyday shooting.
Great Entry Point into Advanced Compact Cameras
- Provides an affordable way for enthusiasts to step up from smartphone cameras.
- Offers advanced controls and capabilities not found in phone cameras.
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III vs. G7X Mark III: A Comparative Analysis
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III and G7X Mark III are two of Canon’s premium compact camera offerings. Here is how they compare:
- G1X Mark III has a 24MP APS-C sensor.
- G7X Mark III has a 20MP 1-inch sensor, which is smaller.
- G1X Mark III: 24-72mm (35mm equiv.) f/2.8-5.6
- G7X Mark III: 24-100mm (35mm equiv.) f/1.8-2.8
- G1X Mark III has a built-in 2.36M dot electronic viewfinder.
- G7X Mark III lacks a built-in viewfinder.
- G1X Mark III: 3″ tilting touchscreen LCD with 1.04M dots.
- G7X Mark III: 3″ tilting touchscreen LCD with 1.04M dots.
Size and Weight
- G1X Mark III is slightly larger and heavier.
- G7X Mark III is more pocketable.
- G1X Mark III is priced around $600 new.
- G7X Mark III costs around $750 new.
- G1X Mark III is better suited for enthusiasts wanting maximum image quality.
- G7X Mark III offers greater portability and a longer zoom.
Protecting Your Investment: The Perfect Case for Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
To protect the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III compact camera during everyday use and travel, a good quality case is recommended:
Leather cases like the Canon LH-DC110 offer stylish protection and convenient access:
- Genuine leather construction.
- Magnetic closure.
- Belt loop and neck strap.
- Cutouts for easy access to ports and memory card.
For underwater photography, specialized waterproof housings like the Canon WP-DC56 are available:
- Waterproof down to depths of 40m/130ft.
- Provides access to all essential camera controls.
- Includes a moisture detector.
Hard Shell Cases
Hard shell cases from brands like Lowepro provide maximum impact protection:
- Tough outer shell made of EVA or polycarbonate.
- Padded interior protects against shocks and drops.
- Ideal for travel and outdoor use.
Investing in a good quality case ensures your G1 X Mark III is protected from dust, shocks, and the elements when shooting in challenging conditions.
Capturing Stunning Imagery: The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III on Flickr
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III is capable of capturing stunning stills and this is evidenced by the thousands of high quality sample images shot with the camera on photography sites like Flickr:
The G1 X Mark III can capture landscapes with excellent fine detail, dynamic range, and color rendition:
- APS-C sensor resolves intricate textures like foliage, rock, and water.
- RAW files provide increased editing flexibility.
Shallow depth of field effects are easily achievable with the G1 X Mark III:
- Bright f/2.8 aperture combined with large sensor allows for background blur.
- Face tracking AF maintains accurate focus on subjects.
Low Light Photography
The camera performs admirably under dim lighting:
- Good high ISO performance with low noise levels.
- Lens-based image stabilization provides up to 3 stops advantage.
- Maximum ISO of 25600 is usable when needed.
Overall, sample images prove the G1 X Mark III delivers DSLR-like image quality in a compact form factor.
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III: A High-Performance Compact Camera in Black
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III compact camera has a sleek and professional black exterior finish:
- The matte black finish gives the G1 X Mark III a discreet, neutral look.
- Ideal for street, documentary, and photojournalism work.
- The black finish features a durable anodized metal surface.
- Resistant to scratches and daily wear-and-tear.
- The front and rear grip surfaces are also black, providing a secure hold.
- Rubberized coating allows for confident one-handed shooting.
- The black camera body coordinates well with black camera straps and cases.
- Accessories in black maintain a consistent, understated appearance.
- The all-black look is synonymous with serious photography gear.
- Projects an image of refinement and reliability.
With its stealthy black finish and understated design, the G1 X Mark III is ideal for users who prefer a discreet but capable compact camera.
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III vs. G5X: A Detailed Comparison
For photographers trying to choose between the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III and PowerShot G5 X, here is a detailed comparison:
- G1X Mark III: 24MP APS-C
- G5X: 20MP 1-inch
The G1X Mark III’s APS-C sensor is significantly larger and delivers better low light performance and dynamic range.
- G1X Mark III: 3″ tilting touchscreen
- G5X: 3″ tilting touchscreen
Both offer similar high resolution touchscreen LCDs that tilt up or down. The G5X’s screen also flips out to the side.
- G1X Mark III: Built-in OLED EVF with 2.36M dots
- G5X: None
The G1X Mark III features a high quality built-in electronic viewfinder, while the G5X lacks a viewfinder.
- G1X Mark III: 24-72mm (35mm equiv.) f/2.8-5.6
- G5 X: 24-100mm (35mm equiv.) f/1.8-2.8
The G5X has a longer 4.2x zoom and wider f/1.8 max aperture but the G1X III’s lens remains impressively bright at f/2.8-5.6.
Size and Weight
- G1X Mark III: 115 x 78 x 51 mm, 399g
- G5X: 112 x 76 x 44 mm, 353g
The G5X is smaller and lighter overall making it more portable. But the G1X III is still compact for an APS-C sensor camera.
The G1X Mark III is better suited for max image quality while the G5X prioritizes compactness and affordability.
Discovering Hidden Treasures: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III on eBay
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III is available at bargain prices on the eBay secondhand marketplace, offering buyers the chance to score hidden deals:
Buy From Reputable Sellers
Stick to top rated sellers with positive feedback to get items that are as described:
- Review seller ratings and percentage of positive feedback.
- Check for recent reviews and detailed item descriptions.
Listings range from gently used to heavily worn:
- Opt for “Excellent” or “Good” condition to get usable cameras.
- Heavily worn items may have issues.
- Recently sold listings reveal average selling prices.
- Factor in shipping costs when comparing.
- Make offers using the Best Offer feature.
- Pay only through eBay’s trusted payment system.
- Avoid requests for direct bank transfers.
With some research and scrutiny, the G1 X Mark III can be found for hundreds below retail cost on eBay.
A Visual Feast: Sample Images from the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
There are numerous stunning high resolution sample images available online that demonstrate the image quality and performance of the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III:
Canon’s Sample Images
Canon provides full resolution sample shots that highlight the camera’s capabilities:
- Images include portraits, night scenes, landscapes, and macro shots.
- Provides a great way to evaluate real world image quality.
Trusted review sites like DPReview provide sample galleries to compare:
- Shows images captured across a variety of conditions.
- Reveals how the camera performs for different subjects.
Flickr and community photography sites showcase samples from actual users:
- Provides examples of real world photos.
- Images are tagged with EXIF data including settings used.
The ample sample photos from Canon and owners allow buyers to inspect the camera’s output before purchasing.
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III vs. Sony RX100 VII: A Clash of Titans
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III and Sony RX100 VII are two of the most advanced compact cameras available, and they make for an interesting comparison:
- Canon G1 X Mark III: 24MP APS-C sensor
- Sony RX100 VII: 20MP 1-inch sensor
The G1X Mark III’s larger sensor excels for dynamic range and low light performance.
- Canon: 24-72mm (35mm equiv.) f/2.8-5.6
- Sony 24-200mm (35mm equiv.) f/2.8-4.5
The RX100 VII boasts an impressive 8.3x zoom range. But the G1X III’s lens remains competitively bright.
- Canon: 2.36M dot OLED electronic viewfinder
- Sony: Retractable 2.36M dot OLED electronic viewfinder
Both offer sharp, high resolution OLED electronic viewfinders. The RX100 VII’s viewfinder retracts into the body.
- Canon: Optical lens-based
- Sony: Optical + electronic stabilization
Sony’s combination of optical and electronic stabilization may provide an edge in keeping images sharp.
- Canon Dual Pixel CMOS AF.
- Sony: Phase and contrast detection AF.
Both focus quickly and accurately but Canon’s Dual Pixel AF excels for video shooting.
There’s no definitive winner – the G1 X Mark III prioritizes image quality while the RX100 VII offers more features and zoom range in a truly pocketable form factor.
Pricing Information: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III in the Philippines and Bangladesh
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III pricing and availability varies depending on the country and the condition:
In the Philippines
The G1 X Mark III has an MSRP of around ₱50,000 in the Philippines but sells for less from authorized dealers:
- Brand new units: Approximately ₱40,000 from retailers like Lazada and Shopee.
- Open box/used: Around ₱35,000 from resellers.
Warranty coverage may vary for used or grey market imports.
Expect to pay between 80,000 to 90,000 BDT for a new G1 X Mark III in Bangladesh:
- New with warranty: 83,000 BDT from Canon authorized sellers.
- Used imports can be found for 70,000 to 75,000 BDT.
Pricing fluctuates frequently so compare between sellers.
Street pricing in both countries is typically 15-20% below the official MSRP, with even lower prices available for used models lacking local warranty coverage.
A Battle of Legacy: Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III vs. Fujifilm X100V
The Canon G1 X Mark III and Fujifilm X100V represent the pinnacle of compact camera engineering from their respective manufacturers:
Sensor and Processor
- Canon: 24MP APS-C, DIGIC 7 Processor
- Fujifilm: 26MP APS-C, X-Processor 4
Both feature high resolution APS-C sensors optimized for resolution and dynamic range. Fujifilm’s X-Processor delivers excellent JPEGs.
- Canon: 24-72mm equiv. f/2.8-5.6
- Fujifilm: 35mm equiv. f/2
The Canon offers more versatility with its modest 3x zoom while the Fujifilm has a classic wide angle prime lens.
- Canon: 2.36M dot OLED EVF
- Fujifilm: 3.69M dot OLED EVF
Large, high resolution OLED viewfinders allow eye-level composition. The X100V’s finder packs extra resolution.
Design and Handling
- Canon: Slimmer body with grippy texture
- Fujifilm: Retro-inspired all metal chassis
The Canon aims for portability while Fujifilm’s rangefinder-esque body oozes premium build quality.
There’s much to love in both cameras making it hard to declare one an outright winner. Go Canon for zoom flexibility or Fujifilm for old-school charm.
Exploring Exposure Techniques: Spot Exposure with the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III provides a Spot AE Point tool that allows selecting a precise area of the frame to base exposures on:
Accessing Spot AE Point
To enable Spot AE Point:
- Press the < button.
- Select Spot AE Point icon (circle with dot in middle).
This toggle Spot AE on or off.
Choosing Exposure Point
With the tool activated:
- Position the circular target over area to base exposure on.
- Press shutter halfway to lock exposure.
Correcting Backlit Scenes
Spot AE is useful when photographing backlit subjects. For example:
- Meter on the subject’s face to properly expose it.
- Let the bright backlight areas fall into highlight clipping.
Exposing Tricky Scenes
It helps correctly expose:
- Bright or dark ## Preserving Raw Data: RAW Files with the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III offers RAW image capture allowing photographers to preserve more data for post-processing:
More Editing Latitude
- RAW files contain uncompressed, unprocessed sensor data.
- Greater flexibility for adjusting exposure, white balance, noise reduction, and more in editing software.
Higher Bit Depth
- JPEG captures are 8-bit.
- RAW files are captured in 14-bit, capturing more color and tonality.
- JPEG compression can result in loss of fine details.
- RAW retains all the detail captured by the sensor.
Manageable File Sizes
- Despite larger than JPEGs, RAW files remain reasonable in size thanks to efficient compression.
- Typical 24MP RAW size is 24-35MB – easily handled by modern computers.
RAW capture enables you to get the most out of the G1 X Mark III’s exceptional sensor.
Real-Time Visualization: LiveView with the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
The G1 X Mark III offers smooth and responsive LiveView for composing shots on the LCD:
- LiveView automatically activates the LCD when composing.
- The 3″ 1.04M dot display provides a bright and detailed view.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF locks focus quickly in LiveView mode for both stills and video recording.
- Smooth focus transitions when shooting video.
Effective Exposure Preview
- LiveView provides a real-time preview of how the exposure will turn out.
- Allows adjusting settings and seeing the results immediately on screen.
- Fully articulating LCD flips out and rotates making unique angles easy.
- Great for macro, overhead, low angle, and front-facing selfie shots.
LiveView makes composing and shooting with the G1 X Mark III intuitive with its fast AF and bright articulating display.
Measuring Light Intensity: Light Intensity 2856 with the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III provides a Light Intensity reading under the shooting info displays that quantified the brightness of the scene:
What is Light Intensity?
- The Light Intensity value measures the luminance of the scene in Lux units.
- It ranges from 0 to 4096 Lux, with higher values for brighter conditions.
Interpreting the Values
Some examples light intensity values:
- Sunny day: 8000+ Lux
- Cloudy day: 4000-6000 Lux
- Indoor residential: 200-500 Lux
- Twilight: Below 10 Lux
Using Light Intensity
Photographers can utilize the Light Intensity value to:
- Gauge ambient light levels.
- Determine when extra illumination may be needed.
- Identify situations that may require a flash or tripod.
It provides an objective measurement of scene brightness.
Enduring Elements: Splash Water Protection with the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III features weather sealing and construction designed to withstand light splashing and rain:
Sealed Buttons and Dials
- Buttons and dials feature rubber gaskets and sealing to prevent water ingress.
- Designed to keep light moisture out.
Moisture Resistant Materials
- Constructed from high grade plastics and metal alloys that resist moisture absorption.
- Effectively repeals splashes and spray.
- Fluorine coating on the lens surface causes water to bead and roll off instead of sticking.
- Helps maintain image quality when shooting in wet conditions.
Limits of Protection
While resistant to minor exposure, the G1 X Mark III is not fully waterproof, so take precautions in very wet environments.
The splash protection gives photographers confidence when working outdoors in inclement weather.
Compact and Convenient: Dimensions of the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
Despite its DSLR-sized APS-C sensor, the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III remains impressively compact with the following dimensions:
Width and Height
- Width: 4.5 inches (115mm)
- Height: 3 inches (78mm)
Similar in size to an entry-level DSLR or mirrorless body without a lens.
- Depth: 2 inches (51mm)
Remarkably slim for an APS-C camera. Similar slimness to fixed lens compacts.
- Weight: 13.1 ounces (399g) with battery and memory card.
Dense, hefty feel, but still light enough for prolonged handheld use.
- Well balanced with a comfortable grip.
- Controls and dials are sensibly placed within easy reach.
Despite its powerful imaging capabilities, the G1 X Mark III retains highly portable dimensions ideal for travel and daily shooting.
The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III is a versatile compact camera offering impressive image quality, performance, and features in a portable design. It combines the benefits of an interchangeable lens camera with the convenience of a fixed lens compact. While not inexpensive, the G1 X III delivers outstanding value by eliminating the need to buy separate lenses. From landscapes to portraits and everything in between, the G1 X Mark III is a compact powerhouse capable of satisfying both enthusiasts and professionals.
The Canon G1 X Mark III is the top model in the PowerShot G series and combines a compact design with outstanding speed and first-class image quality. The Powershot comes with a powerful APS-C sensor that has a resolution of 24.2 megapixels. The lens offers a 3x optical zoom and the DIGIC 7 image processor ensures first-class photo and video results with ultra-fast processing.
The electronic viewfinder is high-resolution and centrally located. In a pocket size, you get DSLR-like handling and EOS-inspired ergonomics. With Touch and Drag AF, areas can be brought into focus quickly and easily. The four-stage image stabilizer ensures that even handheld shots can be taken with excellent sharpness without camera shake. Videos can be recorded in Full HD at 60 frames per second.
Both the Dual Pixel CMOS AF and the 5-axis movie stabilizer ensure smooth recordings in great quality. Easily pair your mobile device via Bluetooth and expand your creative possibilities with manual control via the Camera Connect app.