In a report published today in the Nikkei, Techno Systems Research reports that Canon has continued its dominant market share in the digital camera space for 2022. Both Canon and Nikon showed every so slight increases in market share, with Sony going on the other.
According to Techno Systems Research the entire digital camera market shrank again in 2022, though we don’t put that solely on customer desire, but also on the issues still occurring around the globe with inflation, interest rate hikes and all of that other fun stuff.
Digital Camera Market Share 2022
Change from 2021 in parenthesis
Canon 46.5% (+0.7%)
Sony 26.1% (-0.9%)
Nikon 11.7% (+0.4%)
Fujifilm 5.8% (-0.1%)
Panasonic 4.2% (-0.2%)
The top 5 brands accounted for 94.3% of all digital cameras sold in 2022. So that means the remaining 5.7% of the market is divided up between Ricoh/Pentax, OM Systems, Leica, Sigma and other OEM manufacturers.
We’d expect a similar performance for Canon in 2023, especially with the launch of more affordable camera bodies such as the EOS R100, EOS R50, EOS R7, EOS R10 and the EOS R8 in 2022 and 2023. The Canon EOS R6 Mark II has also been a very popular camera with good sales numbers for Canon.
While most of us around here clamour for the EOS R5 Mark II and EOS R1, the lower price point products will always outsell the camera bodies that we enthusiasts fawn over.
We can be critical of Canon all we’d like (respectfully of course), but at the end of the day, they’re in the business of selling cameras and sell cameras they do.
Source: Nikkei Via: Digicame-Info
Some of our articles may include affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Go to discussion…